I think NAICS codes are so outdated that they are at best low value and at worst misleading. But you will need to list them when you register in a couple of the upcoming systems and they are used as shorthand in the community for what you do so we need to figure out what yours are.
Step 1: Go to the United States Census Bureau NAICS website .
Step 2: Search for your NAICS codes using your keywords from the customer identification lesson.
For example, if your company primarily does management consulting, you’d look that up and find: Code 54161: Management Consulting Services
Step 3: If your searches aren’t returning services that look right go to the NAICS Index, shown below and you can navigate around to find the ones that are right.
Step 4: Even after browsing you may not be able to find the right codes because they aren’t updated very often so for example they don’t have a codes for cybersecurity.
If that’s the case I suggest looking at the websites for other companies that do things like what you do and see what NAICS they list. And just as a warning there may be a lot of different codes used for new and undefined services. For example we’ve found cyber security services listed under the following NAICS:
- 423430 – Computer and Computer Peripheral Equipment and Software Merchant Wholesalers
- 541330 – Engineering Services
- 541511 – Custom Computer Programming Services
- 541519 – Other Computer Related Services
- 541690 – Other Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- 541990 – All Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services